Gosh, do you think Hippocrates might have been on to something when he said "let food be they medicine" over 2300 years ago?!
In naturopathic medicine we look at food as one of the best ways to prevent, treat, and even reverse disease. Food is very powerful medicine and can have dramatic effects on the mind & body. Since we are in the height of cold and flu season, I thought it only proper to provide a great immune boosting recipe.
Dr. Bill Mitchell's Immune Boosting Soup
(co-founder of Bastyr University and an naturopathic physician, click here to read more)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1-5 cloves garlic. chopped or crushed (to taste)
- 1 tsp-3 Tbsp grated fresh ginger root (to taste)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 qt miso broth or mushroom broth
- 3 Tbsp fresh minced parsley
- 1 grated carrot
- Combine the broth, onion, ginger, garlic and mushrooms.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice, carrot and parsley.
- Put cover on pan and steam for 5 minutes.
- Eat 1-4 times a day.